The Post Master's Program in Educational Leadership
The Post Master's Program in Educational Leadership is a state-approved program intended for those with an earned Master's degree in a field other than educational leadership and who wish to add Educational Leadership to their Florida Professional Educator's Certificate without earning a second Master's degree. The program is a non-degree program consisting of approximately 24- 30 credits of coursework encompassing the eight core areas of the educational leadership curriculum mandated by the Florida Department of Education (FLDOE). Printable facts sheet.
The number of courses required will vary depending upon the student's master's degree coursework. Applicants wanting consideration of previous master's coursework must supply a university catalog course description for each course they want reviewed and indicate which USF course may be comparable. Previous coursework cannot be older than 5 years at the time the student completes the program. The faculty and program advisor will evaluate coursework to determine acceptability and applicants will be provided a list of recommended courses for completion of the program.
Upon completion of recommended courses and passing the Florida Educational Leadership Exam (FELE), a notation of completion of the state-approved modified program will be applied to the student's official USF transcript. The student must apply to the FLDOE for state certification. The FLDOE will determine if certification requirements have been met. The Educational Leadership options strive to teach students how to influence systemic school improvement through collaborative and informed decision making. Coursework integrates the following themes to this end:
- Visionary and Strategic Leadership
- Leadership for Student Performance
- Organization and Resource Management
- Collaborative Leadership
- Ethical Leadership
- Legal, Political, and Sociocultural Contexts; and
- Technology Leadership
As a student in the program, you can expect instruction and support in the form of:
- Case studies and simulations;
- Group Projects and study groups;
- Lecture and discussion;
- Inquiry and presentation;
- Distance learning and web-enhanced courses;
- Advising and coaching; and
- Ongoing support from faculty and a cohort of peers.
How to Apply
1. Meet the Prerequisites
Students seeking admission to the Post Master's program in Educational Leadership must:
- Have an earned Master's degree in any field with a minimum GPA of 3.0 from a regionally accredited institution;
- Have a valid Florida Professional Educator's Certificate that includes ESOL endorsement; and
- Have taught under a full contract for a minimum of 2 years; confirmation may be required.
- Documentation of completion of a three (3) credit hour
course in ESOL or completion of sixty (60) hours of ESOL
district in-service training). Applicants admitted for Fall
2010 or later must take TSL 5085 ESOL if not waived.
2. Complete the USF Admission Application online
3. Submit the following items to USF Sarasota-Manatee Graduate Program Specialist for the College of Education, Diane Lewis. See contact information for Ms. Lewis at the bottom of this page.
- Three letters of professional reference (ask references to include your name and 'letter of reference' in subject line if emailing the letter);
- A goals statement (1-2 pages) discussing professional experiences and interest in Educational Leadership;
- A copy of the Florida Professional Educator's Certificate that clearly shows all borders and the state seal;
- Official transcript(s) of all undergraduate degree coursework (and graduate coursework, if applicable); and
- Proof of English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) training. Applicant must provide documentation of completion of a three (3) credit hour course in ESOL or completion of sixty (60) hours of ESOL district in-service training or successfully complete TSL 5085: ESOL 1 as part of the Post Master's program.
4. Observe the Application Deadlines
March 1 for Summer | June 1 for Fall | October 15 for Spring
Missed the deadline? Apply for non-degree study to get started this semester. A maximum of 12 credits from non-degree study may be transferable to a master's program.
The Modified Program in Educational Leadership is unique for each student. Coursework consists of 24-30 credit hours of coursework. Please consult an advisor for process to receive course recommendations based on your credentials. Changes in Florida Law and/or Regulations may result in program changes. Students must closely monitor program requirements. Students are responsible for all information listed in the University graduate catalog.
1. Submit copy of official score report showing
successful completion the Florida Educational Leadership
Examination FELE. You must complete all courses as listed on your
planned program of study with a minimum grade point average
of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
2. Submit completion form requesting verification of completion of the program. Form may be obtained from the Graduate Program Specialist, Diane Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org
3. The completion form will then be processed in order
to make a notation of completion of this state-approved program
on your official USF transcripts.
Completion of your USF Post Master's program and passing all three portions
of the Florida Educational Leadership Exam (FELE) ordinarily results in eligibility for your
certificate. Post Master's Program Completers apply to add
the subject area, Educational Leadership (K-12), to your
1. Apply online at http://www.fldoe.org/edcert/ and pay appropriate fees
2. Mail a sealed, final official USF transcript to the FLDOE to complete your application. Order your transcript from the Registrar's Office AFTER the official notation has been made on your transcripts and final grades have been posted (this will be approximately 4-6 weeks after the graduation ceremony).
Transcript Request Form
(If you send transcripts to FLDOE without these items on your
transcript, your professional certification will not be granted.)
Please submit all application materials to:
Graduate Program Specialist
College of Education, B32
8350 N. Tamiami Trail, SMC B322
Sarasota, FL 34243
Fax: (941) 359-4778