ESOL - How to Apply
Does the University make my application for certification for me?NO. The student is responsible for applying to Florida Department of Education (FLDOE) for his/her professional teaching certificate. See http://www.fldoe.org/edcert/ for application and directions.
For Which Certification Do I Apply?MAT and Elementary Education students: apply for professional teaching certification in Elementary Education (K-6) AND ESOL Endorsement (these are two separate items on the application)
When Do I Apply for My Teaching Certificate?The student will make application to FLDOE after graduation. You must wait for your degree and final grades to be posted to your transcript before making this application.
How Do I Apply for My Teaching Certificate?
- Apply online at www.fldoe.org/edcert and pay appropriate fees
- Be sure to apply for ESOL Endorsement too
- You will need to supply a sealed, official transcript to FLDOE to complete your application.
- Order your transcript from the Registrar's Office AFTER your degree and final grades have been posted (this will be approximately 4-6 weeks after the graduation ceremony). Transcript Request Form
- If you send transcripts to FLDOE without these items on your transcript, your certification will not be granted.
Steps in the Professional Certification Process
- Pass all three portions of the FTCE: General Knowledge Test; Professional Education Test; and your major's Subject Area Exam.
- Degree and final grades posted on USF transcript.
- Apply online to FLDOE and pay appropriate fees.
- Mail a sealed, final official USF transcript to FLDOE to complete your application. (Transcript Request)
- Receive an Official Statement of Status of Eligibility from FLDOE detailing your eligibility for both a temporary and professional certificate and remaining requirements, if any, needed to earn each certificate.
- Seek employment.
- You will be required to be fingerprinted prior to hiring and receiving your professional certificate.